Trying to keep my femininity alive while grappling with unhappy birds of prey and hiking the trails of Elk Island National Park.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

I had to sketch this title from memory too.

Things I didn't photograph today because I forgot my camera:

- two gorgeous brand spanking new fresh out of the egg Doves
- a Bald Eagle careening around the large flight aviary in pursuit of a Pigeon
- a Cooper's Hawk hopping through the rafters in the main treatment area (my fault - bad door monitoring)
- a Broad Winged Hawk cockily displaying next to a Ferruginous Hawk (my fault again - not a day that will go down in my annals of greatness)
- a successfuly rehabbing Red Tail Hawk and Swainsons Hawk settled in their new outdoor enclosure, perching side by side and looking gorgeous

I guess I was meant to just enjoy the day and not immortalize it. It just figures that in the two years that I've had the camera the first week I forget to bring it is the week I start this blog.

Thankfully I did have my camera with me for my shift at the Raptor Shelter last week when I got to meet this guy - a fourth year Bald Eagle (hence the not quite pure whiteness of his "baldness" and dark beak) that is, by all appearance and behaviour, an imprint. He acts like a puppy. His feathers show signs of having been confined.



He seems to prefer being hand fed. What's more during my last interaction with him of the day last week he asked me for food.

So I gave him some food.

I've seen dogs less at ease eating with someone hovering over them. I changed all the newspapers all the way around his block while he ate. I was barely glanced at, but definitely acknowleged.



Obviously not a releasable bird if he doesn't start to show signs of independence, but a wonderful teaching bird for the shelter if does need to be kept. I've made it clear that I would like to be very involved with his training if that is to be the case. He's exhibitted nothing but the sweetest temperament since being admitted, and I'm keen to learn. The hope is that we'd both benefit from time spent together.

He was found emaciated on a golf course. My wondering is if those strange circumstances don't indicate a clandestine surrender. You've been keeping an Eagle illegally, it gets sick, you can't take it for treatment without being charged, you drop it off in a safe place where it's sure to be found?

Well at least that would indicate that the jerk that ruined his life loved him. It's not everyone that can say that.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god. I just came back because you posted another comment on my blog about the animals being there but it was the time of day. I went farther down on your blog and there was an eagle. Jesus what a beautiful animal. I read more of your blog and know what you do is help injured birds among other things. That is super marvelous. I have at least 2 Coopers Hawks here or they come here and sometimes catch a slower mourning dove but this place of mine is like a grocery store for them as I do feed wildlife things everything can eat and the hawks come for the meat they can get easier. You should go to my webiste and click on Photography - up close and then click on Birds. I just did to make sure it worked (the link) and it does. I noticed there is a break in sequence but it is still good.

Anyway. http://www.oldmanlincoln.com/ is my website. There are other pictures there too. I also turned my backyard over to wildlife about 30-40 years ago and anything can stay here that gets here. Right now I have a resident raccoon. I live in a small city in Ohio about three blocks from the old downtown section.

I love your website and what you do.
Abe Lincoln - oldmanlincoln

Anonymous said...

I love this bird. He is wonderful. And the photos are exceptional. Thanks for posting them.

About Me

My photo
Quality blog entertainments delivered in a convenient, electronic format, and widely read by the sexiest, most intelligent, and wittiest people on the internet - all of whom practice exemplary personal hygiene.