Trying to keep my femininity alive while grappling with unhappy birds of prey and hiking the trails of Elk Island National Park.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Hayburger Trail



It actually is pure coincidence that the first trail I'm writing about in this blog is trail #1. Does make me think, though, that it would look ever so tidy if I were to both introduce and revisit the trails in numerical order throughout the year. That's fine and dandy for trails 1-3. That might become a problem by trail 4. Moss lake. That is not an easy hike, and I learned today that a lot of my hiking muscles are still in hibernation. I usually like to spend awhile hiking for an hour or two a day before attempting that one.

I'm not saying it's not going to happen. I'm just saying I'm not going to force the issue.

I do love Hayburger. It has the foresteyest looking forests.



I think of it as a storybook hike.



I've named portions of the trail to orient my personal sense of place. You have to pass the halfway mark before you reach what I think of as the chapel.



It's a comfortable place. Close and shaded. Not without it's reach for heaven, though.



Appropriately enough I think of the next portion of trail as the Cathedral, where the intimacy gives way to majesty.



I didn't consciously assign these names. They just occured to me the very first time I hiked the trail, and as a result they stuck.

This I haven't named. It's just a lovely, quiet space.



Hayburger has a lot of different spaces. Come to think of it, I think that's when I tend to wind up on the Hayburger Trail - when I'm craving space.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, and thanks for the comment on my brookvilleohio.blogspot.com blog. That is just one of them. I have one at http://www.oldmanlincoln.com and if you go there and click on Photography - Up close you can see some of my photography. Not on there but I must have 300 to 500 photos of Mourning Doves. Some are incredible. I also have some nice Coopers Hawk photos and so on. I love to see your hiking trail photos. I love the scenes. The problem is that they look so barren and devoid of wildlife. It is a shame, really, that they are not filled with all kinds of animals. But those days are pretty much gone from this land and probably your land at well. Thanks again. Stay in touch.

Lana said...

You have some beautiful pictures there.
I am a coowner of the butt blog.
If you would like to see your butt picture there you can email them to
bozettetc@yahoo.com and I will make so you get credit for it and a link back here.

About Me

My photo
Quality blog entertainments delivered in a convenient, electronic format, and widely read by the sexiest, most intelligent, and wittiest people on the internet - all of whom practice exemplary personal hygiene.