Trying to keep my femininity alive while grappling with unhappy birds of prey and hiking the trails of Elk Island National Park.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Don't even read the title if you don't like Great Grey Owls.

While we certainly don't get anywhere near as many as we do Great Horneds, it's not unusual for us to get Great Grey Owls in at the shelter. What is unusual is for me to photograph them. Great Grey Owls stress easily and badly. Obviously the majority of the birds I'm photographing would be happier not having a camera in their face, but there's a distinction. There's good agitation - the kind that keeps them alert and wary of people - and there's bad agitation. Great Greys are very prone to the bad kind. The kind that causes the kind of stress that is unhealthy. If I sense any hint of that kind of agitation I drop the food and leave, not making eye contact. It's rare that a Great Grey is in a mellow enough mood to be photographed.

So when, like today, a Great Grey is in a mellow mood, I practically fill the card. Today's post is a Great Grey a palooza. Off we go then... ready, set...



FuhLING!



I also avoid the flash to be as unobtrusive as possible.









Love that facial disk.



...and that's enough of that.

20 comments:

Jim said...

The bird does look in a good mood, great camera shots. I can't help but wonder what the actual form of these 'owls' is under the feathers, I was looking at the pics in the previous post just now, they look like 'cats' that turned into birds, grew feathers or something. Great pictures Tatty, Thanks for them all. Oh, the shift of gravity shot of the white owl is terrific, really gives a feel of the 'bird'.

Michael Bains said...

Wow! I love the pic with her wings spreading wide.

Glad you got her on a good day, eh.

Ken Albin said...

Great pictures! I loved looking through your blog. You are doing a really good thing by volunteering. Keep up the excellent work.

Anonymous said...

I had lost your site somehow and only found it again yesterday. I see I didn't miss anything. Except the owls. I saw the things before that in June. Looks good. http://www.oldmanlincoln.com is where I hang out in case you forgot. LOL. I am wife of 51 years are off to Fort Lorarmie this morning to see what wildlife we can stir up for pictures. Take care. Abe Lincoln

Anonymous said...

Me again. I put your number 6 owl up on my website with a link to your place. Hope it is OK. If you go there send me an Email and include your email and I will then enclose pics of your owls so you can see their faces a bit better. I only did three but you might want them and I can tell you what to do with them when the email from me gets there. http://www.oldmanlincoln.com/

DaVinci Nova said...

So this is where you are ... Hi.

Waterrose said...

OH how beautiful. Thanks for sharing these photos.

The Nature Nut said...

Wow that's amazing! I hope the little guy will recover quickly and be back on his way soon :o)

Crystal said...

WOW! thats all I can say...WOW!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Love it!

Erika said...

Beautiful. The owl looks so soft. Keep it up.

ToteNTots

kim* said...

wow what beautiful images of this great owl.

Livecreations said...

Oh Gorgeous!

what a lovely Creature :)

ThreadBeaur said...

Wow! You got some great shots! How wonderful to be so close to an owl!

Sunny Bower Art Studio said...

This has to be my favorite blog! I love your photos.
-Sunny

Naturegirl said...

I've not seen an owl in person so I am enjoying the view from the screen!
Great images on your blog!

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Michael said...

Wow, the creature is quite beautiful - thanks to a good cameraman. :)

Michael.
Do you hate it too?
"If you're going through Hell, keep going."

Chris said...

Great work. You are my wife's new hero. We're regular visitors to our local bird rescue center.

Chiara said...

Aw how gorgeous!

About Me

My photo
Quality blog entertainments delivered in a convenient, electronic format, and widely read by the sexiest, most intelligent, and wittiest people on the internet - all of whom practice exemplary personal hygiene.